Monday, July 16, 2007

"You Can't Travel - You're a Chem E!"

So I may have been told by a very observant blog reader. Luckily I think one of the most strict of the Chem-E police is buying a house right now so I should be OK. But let me tell you, if you work it right, you can be a Chem-E and travel too even though there is a lot of things you leave behind, such as:

- Morning, afternoon, and late afternoon meetings. How else are you supposed to talk about all of the things you should be doing? And what better place to call out a coworker? For a one week trip, that's at least 20 valuable opportunities lost.

- Safety Moments. How would I remember to drive carefully on the road if someone were not to bring up a new traffic accident for every start-of-meeting "Safety Moment"?

- Electrical arc flashing. Learning firsthand the answer to the question, "What is that bright light and popping sound from over there?"

- Guys in boxers. Apparently a legitimate way to protest being given insufficient uniforms is to show up to work without one.

- Learning how to drive a forklift. Rear wheel drive is tricky on those things - I think it is a bad sign if on your first attempt to lift a pallet of metal drums you spear it at a 20 degree angle and hear the cracking of pallet wood.

This is a mere sample of the incredible responsibility I give up each and every time I leave work on a frivolous vacation. This is why travel is assuredly a frowned-upon activity for chemical engineers. And this is why I always leave behind my contact information.

1 comment:

Mike P said...

I don't think you really made your case. BASF doesn't operate the chemical plant you work at. They operate the chemical plant that you work at better!