Sunday, September 2, 2007

Writing is Tough

After reading a book recently that I really liked (by Candace Bushnell, Trading Up) I went out and bought one of her earlier books (4 Blondes) only to be extremely disappointed. It was nothing like the first one I read. You can clearly see her development as an author between the two. So naturally the first thing that came to mind after finishing 4 Blondes was "You could do that!" Meaning, I could write my own book of the same caliber as that one.

Let me tell you though, it was HARD. I typed my story (1 Blonde) for what felt like forever, developed my characters until I felt like I'd known them since they were born. I finished about a third of the story I had in mind. Then I look at the bottom of my Word window and see that I am on page 4 of 4. I was forced to retire 3 days into my new career as author. I blame it on my efficiency from living in the email age where people only want to read about 5 lines at a time and will delete an email if it requires scrolling down.

So Candace Bushnell, I apologize for giving your earlier book an unflattering review because even though Trading Up was much better and I am a way overconfident author wannabe, you still did better than I could on 4 Blondes. Maybe better subject matter will help you out next time, like brunettes.

2 comments:

Mike P said...

Rewrite your story in crayon. The page count will be much higher and you feel like you have accomplished much more!

Mike D said...

I hear writing tandem is also a good way to write stories -- it keeps people on their toes...is everyone naked or fully clothed?